FeedTheCoin logo FeedTheCoin logo
Seeking Alpha 2022-08-17 20:15:54

Bitcoin in the red as Fed minutes reveal downside risks from rate-hike campaign

Bitcoin (BTC-USD) has slid 2.7% in Wednesday late afternoon trading as Federal Reserve policymakers suggested that its interest rate increases could lead the U.S. to a recession. The cryptocurrency changed hands at $23.29K at 4:15 p.m. ET, up from nearly $25K at the beginning of this week. Ethereum (ETH-USD), was also off 2.3% to $1.84K, down from roughly $2K on August 15. "Technical analysis tells us that Bitcoin faces a critical test over the coming days, as the 200 weekly moving average sits just below the current price of $23,700, at around $23,000 – failing to hold this level, will suggest there is further downside to come over the following weeks and the market’s reversal may be delayed," said GlobalBlock analyst Marcus Sotiriou. In the broader equity market, all three major stock indices were knocked lower, with the Dow Jones (DJI) -0.5%, S&P 500 (SP500) -0.7% and tech-heavy Nasdaq (COMP.IND) -1.3%. The weakness came after a weaker-than-expected growth rate in July's retail sales, which appeared to have outweighed a slightly dovish Fed minutes amid bearish price action. As the Federal Open Market Committee's minutes from its July 26-27 meeting revealed concerns about hiking the central bank's policy rate too aggressively, traders accelerated their bets for softer rate increases at its upcoming meeting on September 21. Specifically, they see a 61.5% probability of a 50-basis point hike vs. a 38.5% chance of 75bps, ac...

Read the Disclaimer : All content provided herein our website, hyperlinked sites, associated applications, forums, blogs, social media accounts and other platforms (“Site”) is for your general information only, procured from third party sources. We make no warranties of any kind in relation to our content, including but not limited to accuracy and updatedness. No part of the content that we provide constitutes financial advice, legal advice or any other form of advice meant for your specific reliance for any purpose. Any use or reliance on our content is solely at your own risk and discretion. You should conduct your own research, review, analyse and verify our content before relying on them. Trading is a highly risky activity that can lead to major losses, please therefore consult your financial advisor before making any decision. No content on our Site is meant to be a solicitation or offer.